Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Okay

A blogger for the magazine Marie Claire recently wrote a completely disgusting article about overweight people, calling them "aesthetically displeasing" and comparing them to alcoholics and heroin addicts. Apparently a show called "Mike and Molly" on CBS inspired her to write this hate-filled article. Now after the backlash she (Maura Kelly) has apologized for what she wrote. In my opinion, her article on how much fat people disgusted her reflected more of her own self esteem and weight issues than what her perceptions of other people are. I'm appalled that Marie Claire allowed this article to be published. I, for one, will not be purchasing or reading Marie Claire any longer. It amazes me how she thinks that anyone is dumb enough to believe her apology. She obviously is just trying to do damage control and salvage what is left of her career as a free lance writer after this major faux-pas. Sorry just doesn't always make it okay, and this is definitely one of those times. Magazines such as Marie Claire are always preaching self love and body acceptance, and then something such as this gets printed?!? I suffered with an eating disorder in my teen years. Part of the reason is because of the huge pressure I felt to look a certain way. Now looking back, I can't believe I actually put my life in danger just to be thin. Reading what this idiot wrote makes me angry beyond words. She should not be allowed to spread her hate filled thoughts to the young women of the world. I have only one thing to say I'd love to say to her...Shut your mouth, your words disgust me.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/10/27/marie-claire-magazine-writer-slams-overweight-people-gross-compares-heroin/

No comments:

Post a Comment